About the SciTeach Program
The University of Alabama SciTeach’s mission is to recruit, prepare, and retain, qualified secondary science teachers. The program serves this mission by providing full teaching certification for pre-service majors in biology, physics, chemistry obtaining science (and engineering), and science education degrees. The program builds on previous program and efforts at the University of Alabama over the last four years. The guiding points of the innovative program development include:
- A program offering an array of student benefits that feature research based science teacher preparation involving a science based community of educators.
- Collaboration between the Colleges of Education, Arts and Sciences, and Engineering faculty who are actively engaged in research in science and the teaching and learning of science.
- Active recruitment of prospective and current undergraduate and graduate science and engineering students for majors leading toward teacher certification enabling students to graduate with both a degree and certification in a timely fashion.
- Intensive early career experiences through a science education learning community [Freshman and Sophomore and Graduate Learning Community.
- A focus on developing a deep understanding of content knowledge in the science disciplines and incorporating effective pedagogies using technology in teaching.